Saturday 19 March 2011

Sleepless nights...

I'm really grumpy at the moment...

Haven't been able to sleep for about 3-4 nights.. It's all because of my low back pain...

It all started on Tuesday morning when I woke up with a bit of discomfort on my back.. So, I went to placement as usual... And too many fundoscopy (looking into peoples' eyes) just made it worse... And I couldn't walk home.. It took me 40 mins to walk home when usually it only takes 15-20 mins...

It's not an unsual problem for me... Back pain is quite common in my life... But this time around it is worse... I think so...

I got shooting pain down my legs.. I couldn't walk for days but still made it to placement... Had to take ibuprofen and paracetamol religiously... It does help a bit.. but not much...

And by Thursday night, it is just worse... I haven't been able to sleep at night because I just don't feel comfortable at all.. Had to wear trainers to placement.. Luckily I got a black one and just assume that nobody will say anything.. I couldn't do ophtalmoscopy/fundoscopy...

And last night, I had numbness in my legs.. I know there's something wrong... So, at 3.30 am, I asked Jen to do a neuro exam on me.. And alhamdulillah I still have the reflexes.... It's just numbness down my left leg... And we managed to figure out which dermatome is affected...

Jen asked me whether I want to go to A&E or not.. And I said no.. I should be fine till Monday.. It's because we know how annoyed doctors get if we go to A&E without any emergency... Plus, we know what kind of treatment that they'll give me.. Some painkillers.... :P

I have made an appointment with my GP... I rang them on last Tuesday and the earliest that they can give me is on Monday.. How rubbish is that ? And I don't want to ask for an emergency appointment.. For the same reason la... Because been there and done that... GPs get annoyed if people misuse the emergency appointments..

So, at the moment, I'm still struggling.. Ibuprofen has started to give some side effects on my tummy... heartburn and diarrhoea...

Will hit the pharmacy today to get something else.. Maybe cocodamol... I really want to sleep at night.. Feeling so tired now...

Hopefully the GP can confirm the diagnosis that we have been making.. We here means my placement doctors and friends... haha... But the symptoms are classic anyway...

No comments: