Wednesday 27 May 2009

Nursing in Swansea ~ Part 2 -What I did there ?-

Salam wbt...

I know it's already late for me to write about this.. Asyik tangguh je.. Sebabnye this week ade CVR lectures for year 3.. malas gle nak bgn tiap2 pagi n g lecture.. but have to la.. nak wat camne kan ?? Term tak abis lagi.. After Friday, abis la term utk 2nd year meds.... Alhamdulillah.. 2 more days of CVR lectures... yeay !!!!

So, here I am today, wanting to write something about my nursing placement... Mind you that this is gonna be a long entry but i still wanna write it tho...

I went to Swansea by bus with other 10 medics... or more... Then dlm bus tu, tgk2 sume yg dlm bus yg placement kat Morriston... But I know other people yg placement kat Singleton.. Smpai2 accomodation, amik keys... tgk2 dpt 7th floor... Org lain sume dpt 5th floor.. Time tu mcm cuak plus sedih.... But, at least I got the biggest room....

But, sbnrnye 7th floor utk Singleton.. Nasib baik.. So, ade la jugak org yg dikenali.. haish.. On the 1st day, g report kat undergrad office.. After a short briefing, pegi la ward... I got ward 12... Didnt have the idea what ward it was... Alhamdulillah.. ward 12 sgt2 best... all the staffs sgt2 frenly and BEST !!! So, the sister bgtau la ward 12 is the oncology ward... So, all sort of cancer cases ade kat ward tu...

And, from this placement kan, I decided that I will never ever be an oncologist... Serius.... I dont think I'm strong enuf to be one.. Back to the story... byk org tanya nape wat nursing placement.. I would say... Nak rasa experience jadi nurse b4 jd doctor, get to know patients and hargai nurses... Tell u what, I wanna be a nurse ok skang !!! Because I feel nurses lg rapat ngan patients....

So, my routine for the day kat ward kan starts at 7 am.. Sbb amik shift pagi.. kul 7-3.... Smpai2 ward, pegi handover... Handover from night shift nye staffs... One thing I like about this placement is that, they treated me as a proper nurse... I have my own responsibilites.... my own team and my own break time... cool eh ? So, kalo tak cukup org kat ward, I had to work hard as well...

After handover, salunye serve bfast kat patients... dah hafal dah menu diaorg... n best la serve food kat patients.. Then, kena feed patients yg immobile... After that, tolong diaorg nak g toilet, mandi sume.. Then do all the beds, tukar cadar plus bed bath.. Ni utk patients yang tak leh gerak.. kena mandikan kat katil... That was the most challenging part.. kena roll over patients... mandikan.. pakaikan baju.... after dah siap beds and mandikan, buat obs... Observations ni basically amik BP, temp, Resp rate and o2 saturation patients... 1st day tgk2 je nurse buat.. lepas2 tu kena wat sendiri utk satu ward... either nurses tu malas or mmg diorg bz gle.... But I think diaorg bz kot.. Diaorg salu tak cukup staff.. kesian gle ok... hee

Then... kalo ade buzzer bunyi kena g jawab buzzer... tanya patients nak ape... At 12, serve lunch pulak.... Then after that, jawab buzzer, tukar lampin and lepak2 until 3... hehe

Ade sorang consultant ni baik gle.. salu ajak assist dia buat procedures since I am a med student pun.. heee... BEST2...

Well, byk cte time nursing ni... I guess I was lucky sbb dpt placement yg best... mmg penat gle la ari2... ade je org yg pegi kul 7, kul 11 dah balik.. but not me... kul3 baru balik and terlepas lunch time.. ari2 tak lunch coz canteen stop serving lunch after 2... But, I enjoyed it very2 much... Sembang2 ngan patients... lepak2 ngan nurses lain.. hurm.. kdg2 tu rindu patients2 kat ward... Kalo wat clinical placement, rindu kat doctors... ni rindu kat patients.. haha....

Swansea was GREAT !! Nak pegi lagi one day... heeee......

Ok la.. nak siap2 utk solat maghrib... Sape2 yg terbaca smpai abis, sorry la sbb pjg... This entry is for myself in the future gak.. Coz I dont have a diary... heeee...

Overall, saya kagum ngan nurses... Banyak berjasa diaorg ni... Kdg2 tu rasa nurses lagi penting dr doctors... heee....

No comments: